The Chapel, New College, Oxford, c1380 and 1774

The medieval glazing of the chapel was commissioned from Oxford craftsman Thomas Glazier by Bishop William of Wykeham, Lord Chancellor of England, Bishop of Winchester and founder of the College.

The larger part of the medieval glazing is now found in the ante-chapel. The glass has been cleaned, broken pieces have been edge-bonded and some of the panels have been re-leaded. All now benefit from protective glazing. The main lights of the chapel windows were re-glazed in the 18th century and work has now begun on the windows on the north side of the chapel, glazed in 1774 by William Peckitt of York, the most famous glass-painter of his day.

  • o1
  • o2