The West Window of Beverley Minster, John Hardman & Company 1859-65
Working on four large panels, the Trust has devised a conservation stategy for this vast window, which depicts figures and events connected with the early history of Christianity in Northumbria.
The Hardmans' firm was formed in Birmingham in 1838 at the behest of Gothic Revival pioneer A. W. N. Pugin, and was one of the most esteemed and prolific of the Victorian period. Manufactured in two phases (1859 and 1865) displaying rather different painting styles and conservation challenges, the window is now suffering from lead fatigue and pigment loss. The conservation trial allowed much of the original lead net to be preserved and identified the need for protective glazing as a means of preserving the fragile painted surface from the effects of internal moisture attack (in the form of condensation).